Undergraduate Research Opportunity|
1972/73:      All India Higher Secondary Examination,CBSE, New Delhi (national merit list, top five)|
1973-1978:   National Science Talent Scholar, Government of India (national merit list, top five)
1973-1978:   Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India; M.Sc. in Physics (5-year program)
1978-1979:   University of Washington, Seattle; Graduate studies
in Atmospheric Sciences
1979-1984:   Princeton University;
M.A., Ph.D. in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics; Advisor: Isaac M. Held
1984-1986:   Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge;
Postdoc with Richard S. Lindzen
1987-       :   University of Maryland, College Park; Research Scientist, Research Professor, Professor
2000-2003:   US National Science Foundation; Director, Large-scale Dynamic Meteorology Program
2016-       :   Jefferson Science Fellow, The National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine, Washington, DC|
2015-       :   Advisory Panel, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), Boulder
2015-       :   Chair, Advisory Panel, Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory (CGD), NCAR
2014-       :   Chair, AMS Committee on Climate Variability and Change, American Meteorological Society
2013-       :   Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
2012-       :   International Commission on Dynamic Meteorology, IAMAS, IUGG
2011-2012:   Lead, CMIP5 Task Force - MAPP Program, NOAA Climate Program Office, Washington DC
2011-2014:   Nominating Committee, UCAR, Boulder
2011-2012:   Drafting Committee, AMS Information Statement on Climate Change
2011-2012:   Board of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, The National Academies, Washington DC
2008-2010:   Climate Research Committee, The National Academies, Washington DC
2010-       :   Drought Interest Group, World Climate Research Programme, WMO
2007-2010:   US Principal Scientist, US-NOAA and India-MoES Collaborative on South Asian Regional Reanalysis
2006-       :   Fellow, American Meteorological Society, Royal Meteorological Society
2006-2009:   Drought Working Group, US CLIVAR, Washington DC
2005-2006:   Editor, Journal of Climate (an AMS publication)
2005-2006:   Co-Chair, Phenomena, Observations and Synthesis panel, US CLIVAR, Washington DC
2005-2009:   Co-Chair, Climate Variability Working Group, NCAR Community Climate System Model, Boulder CO
2005-2006:   Science Steering Committee, US CLIVAR, Washington DC
2004-2005:   Co-Chair, US CLIVAR Pacific Implementation Panel, Washington DC
2003-2005:   Committee on Climate Variability and Change, American Meteorological Society
2014-2015:   Co-Chair, 27th Conference on Climate Variability and Change, American Meteorological Society
2011-       :   Organizer, The Eugene Rasmusson Lectures, Dept. of Atmospheric & Oceanic Science, University of Maryland|
2010-       :   U Md. Representative, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR)
2008-       :   Member, India International Center, New Delhi, India
2007        :   Co-Chair, The Eugene Rasmusson Symposium; Symposium booklet; Gene's Address; AMS Annual Meeting
Eugene Martin Rasmusson (27 February 1929 - 22 March 2015)
UMD Obituary; Obituary in BAMS; Interment at Arlington National Cemetery (some pictures)
Rebecca Eager (prospectus defense in Fall 2016; Scientist, Johns Hopkins APL): Multidecadal variability of late-summer Arctic sea ice: Role of Atlantic Multidecadal Variability|
Ryan Clark (prospectus defense in Fall 2016; LT, US Coast Guard): Seasonal and interannual variability of Arctic sea ice: Dynamical mechanisms.
Natalie Thomas (joined 2014): Seasonality in the secular warming of the Northern Continents. National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (2015-2018).
Agniv Sengupta (joined 2014): SST-based statistical prediction of South Asian summer monsoon rainfall distribution; 2016 Monsoon Rainfall Forecast. Supported by Dr. M. Rajeevan, National Monsoon Mission, Government of India, New Delhi.
Ni Dai (Ph.D. Candidate, Winter 2015; co-advisor; research advisor: Phil Arkin, ESSIC): ENSO precipitation structure in observations and climate simulations.
Doctoral Theses Advised (2007-Present;  ALL)|
Stephen Baxter (Ph.D., Winter 2015/16): Observed Teleconnections in Northern Winter: Subseasonal Evolution and Tropical Linkages. AMS Graduate Fellowship 2010; CMNS Dean's Fellowship 2011; Eugene Rasmusson Graduate Fellowship 2013; Best Graduate Student Paper 2015; Staff Meteorologist, NOAA Climate Prediction Center, College Park, MD.|
Yongjing Zhao (Ph.D., Summer 2014; defense on 1 August; advisors: Eugenia Kalnay & Sumant Nigam): Application of breeding to nonlinear waves and diurnal cycle in the MARS reanalysis., Big Data Specialist, Capital One Bank, McLean, VA
Argyro Kavvada (Ph.D., Summer 2014; advisors: Sumant Nigam & Alfredo Ruiz-Barradas): Atlantic Multidecadal Variability: Surface and subsurface thermohaline structure and hydroclimate impacts. Eugene Rasmusson Graduate Fellowship 2014; Defense and Intelligence Group, Booz Allen Hamilton, NASA Headquarters, Washington DC
Kye-Hwan Kim (Ph.D., May 2013): Statistical Modeling of Atlantic hurricane activity using atmospheric reanalyses and IPCC simulations and projections. Lt. Colonel, South Korea Air Force, Seoul.
Massimo Bollasina (Ph.D., April 2010): Surface and aerosol effects on the South Asian monsoon hydroclimate. Wylie Dissertation Fellowship, Univ. of Maryland Graduate School 2008-2009; Best Student Seminar 2008; Global Climate Change Fellowship, The Green Fund Foundation 2009; Best Doctoral Dissertation 2010. Postdoc, NOAA/GFDL, Princeton University (2010-2013); WCRP Young Scientist Award 2011;WMO Norbert Gerbier-MUMM International Award 2013;
AGU James R. Holton Junior Scientist Award 2013; Assistant Professor, University of Edinburgh, Scotland (2013-).
Bin Guan (Ph.D., October 2008): Pacific decadal SST variability and North American droughts. Wylie Dissertation Fellowship, Univ. of Maryland Graduate School, 2007-2008; Univ. of Maryland Goldhaber Travel Award 2007. Visiting Scientist, Climate Physics Group, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena.Bin Guan in NASA/JPL News.
Ching-Yee Chang (Ph.D., July 2008; advisors: Sumant Nigam & James Carton): Seasonal and interannual ocean-atmosphere variability in the tropical Atlantic: Observed structure and model representation. Univ. of Maryland Goldhaber Travel Award 2007; Visiting Scholar, Department of Geography, University of California, Berkeley.
Megan Linkin (Ph.D., May 2008): North Pacific climate variability and Arctic sea ice. AMS Global Change Travel Scholarship 2005-07; University of Maryland Goldhaber Travel Award 2006. Atmospheric Peril Specialist. Vice President, Global Partnerships, Swiss Re, Armonk, New York. Megan in NY Times.
Steven Chan (Ph.D., April 2008): On the summertime development of the North Pacific sea-level pressure anticyclone. NASA Earth System Science Fellow, 2004-07; NSF East Asian-Pacific Summer Inst. Fellow 2004. Scientist, UK Met Office, Exeter.
Scott Weaver (Ph.D., May 2007): The Great Plains Low-level Jet: Structure, variability mechanisms & hydroclimate impacts. Center for Teaching Excellence Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award, 2004-05;  Research Meteorologist, NOAA Climate Prediction Center, College Park;  Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) 2012; Senior Scientist, Environmental Defense Fund, Washington DC (2015-).
National Institute of Oceanography Seminar, Government of India, Dona Paula, Goa, India (8 March 2016)|
Biennial Rosenburg International Forum for Water Policy, Ninth Forum, Panama City, Panama (27-28 January 2016)
University of Edinburgh, School of Geosciences Seminar, Edinburgh (12 March 2015)
Ansal University: Workshop on Impacts of Aerosols and Changing Climate on Monsoons, Gurgaon, India (12-15 January 2015)
Japan Society for Promotion of Science - Climate Change Symposium, Cosmos Club, Washington, DC (22 February 2013)
Department of Atmospheric Sciences, National Taiwan University (NTU), Taipei (21 September 2012)
NTU Intl Science Conference on Climate Change; Taida Institute for Mathematical Sciences, NTU, Taipei (17-20 Sept. 2012)
National Monsoon Mission: Consultancy Meeting; Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune (11-12 September 2012)
The Philander Symposium, Princeton University, NJ (6 September 2012)
LASG Seminar, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China (10 August 2012)
ICDM Workshop on Dynamics & Predictability of High Impact Weather & Climate Events, Kunming, China (6-9 August 2012)
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (22 June 2012)
WCRP Global Drought Information Workshop, Frascati, Italy (11-13 April 2012)
Atmospheric Science & Physical Oceanography (CASPO) Seminar, University of California, San Diego (5 April 2012)
Institute for Terrestrial & Planetary Atmospheres, State University of New York, Stony Brook (21 March 2012)
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, India; Golden Jubilee Celebrations, 21-25 February 2012
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Irvine (19 December 2011)
NRC Workshop on Himalayan Glaciers, Hydrology and Climate Change, Washington, DC (19-20 October 2011)
GEWEX TRACE Workshop: The atmosphere/climate system. Silver Spring, MD (18-20 April 2011)
WCRP Workshop on Drought Predictability and Prediction in a Changing Climate, Barcelona, Spain (2-5 March 2011)
Caribbean GPS Observational Network, COCONet Workshop, San Juan, Puerto Rico (3-4 February 2011)
25th Conference on Hydrology, AMS Annual Meeting, Seattle (27 January 2011)
NRC Committee on Climate, Energy, and National Security, Washington, DC (10-11 January 2011).National Center for Medium Range Weather Forecasting Seminar, Ministry of Earth Sciences, India (5 January 2011)
Nigam, S. and S. Baxter, 2014: Teleconnections. Invited contribution in Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences  (2nd Edition; Editors: Gerald North, Fuqing Zhang and John Pyle) Academic Press, Elsevier Science, London, 90-109.|
Nigam, S., 2003: Teleconnections. Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences; Editors: J.R. Holton, J.A. Pyle & J.A. Curry; Academic Press, Elsevier Science, London, 2243-2269.
Nigam, S., and E. DeWeaver, 2003: Stationary Waves (Orographic and Thermally forced). Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences; Editors: J.R. Holton, J.A. Pyle & J.A. Curry; Academic Press, Elsevier Science, London, 2121- 2137.
- Nigam, S., B. Guan, and A. Ruiz-Barradas, 2011: Key role of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation in 20th century drought and wet periods over the Great Plains. Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L16713, doi:10.1029/2011GL048650.
- Nigam, S., and B. Guan, 2011: Atlantic Tropical Cyclones in the 20th Century: Natural Variability and Secular Change in Cyclone Count. Climate Dynamics, 36:2279-2293 DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0908-x.
- Nigam, S., and M. Bollasina, 2011: Reply to comment by K. M. Lau and K. M. Kim on "'Elevated heat pump' hypothesis for the aerosol-monsoon hydroclimate link: 'Grounded' in observations? J. Geophys. Res. 116, D07204, doi:10.1029/2010JD015246.
- Bollasina, M., and S. Nigam, 2011: The Summertime "Heat" Low over Pakistan / Northwestern India: Evolution and Origin. Climate Dynamics, 37:957-970 DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0879-y.
- Bollasina, M., and S. Nigam, 2011: Modeling of Regional Hydroclimate Change over the Indian Subcontinent: Impact of the Expanding Thar Desert. J. Climate, 24, 3089-3106.
- Bollasina, M., and S. Nigam, 2011: Increasing desertification of Northwestern India can adversely impact the South Asian monsoon. GEWEX News, 21, No. 2, 8-10.
- Weaver, S.J., and S. Nigam, 2011: Recurrent Supersynoptic Evolution of the Great Plains Low-Level Jet.
J. Climate, 24, 575-582.
- Grodsky, S., J. Carton, S. Nigam, and Y. Okumura, 2012: Tropical Atlantic Biases in CCSM4. J. Climate, 25, 3684-3701.
- Ruiz-Barradas, A, and S. Nigam, 2013: Atmosphere-Land-surface Interactions over the Southern Great Plains: Characterization from Pentad Analysis of DOE-ARM Field Observations and NARR Reanalysis. J. Climate, 26, 875-886.
- Kavvada, A., A. Ruiz-Barradas, and S. Nigam, 2013: AMO's Structure and Climate Footprint in Observations and IPCC AR5 Climate Simulations. Climate Dynamics, DOI 10.1007/s00382-013-1712-1.
- Baxter, S., and S. Nigam, 2013: A Sub-Seasonal Teleconnection Analysis: PNA Development and Its Relationship to the NAO. J. Climate, 26, 6733-6741.
- Ruiz-Barradas, A., S. Nigam, and A. Kavvada, 2013: The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation in 20th Century Climate Simulations: Uneven Progress from CMIP3 to CMIP5. Climate Dynamics, DOI 10.1007/s00382-013-1810-0.
- Sheffield, J., et al. (including S. Nigam), 2013: North American Climate in CMIP5 Experiments. Part I: Evaluation of Historical Simulations of Continental and Regional Climatology. J. Climate, 26, 9209-9245.
- Sheffield, J., et al. (including S. Nigam), 2013: North American Climate in CMIP5 Experiments. Part II: Evaluation of Historical Simulations of Intra-Seasonal to Decadal Variability. J. Climate, 26, 9247-9290.
- Nigam, S. and S. Baxter, 2014: Teleconnections. Invited contribution in Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences  (2nd Edition; Editors: Gerald North, Fuqing Zhang and John Pyle) Academic Press, Elsevier Science, London, 90-109.
- Sheffield, J., et al. (including S. Nigam), 2014: Regional Climate Processes and Projections for North America: CMIP3/CMIP5 differences, attribution and outstanding issues. NOAA Technical Report OAR CPO-2.
- Nigam, S., Y. Zhao, A. Ruiz-Barradas, and T. Zhou, 2015: The South-Flood North-Drought Pattern over Eastern China and the Drying of the Gangetic Plain: Observations, Simulations, and Origin. Invited book chapter (pgs.347-360) in Climate Change: Multidecadal and Beyond (410pp.)  (Editors: Michael Ghil, Mojif Latif, Mike Wallace and C.P. Chang), World Press. ISBN:9789814579926
- Zhao, Y., and S. Nigam, 2015: The Indian Ocean Dipole: A Monopole in SST. J. Climate, 28, 3-19.
- Baxter, S., and S. Nigam, 2015: Key Role of North Pacific Oscillation/West Pacific Pattern in Generating the Extreme 2013-2014 North American Winter. J. Climate, 28, 8109-8117.
- Wallace, J. M., and S. Nigam, 2015: Eugene M. Rasmusson (1929-2015). Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 96, 1804-1808.
- Nigam, S., and A. Ruiz-Barradas, 2016: Key Role of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation in 20th Century Drought and Wet Periods over the US Great Plains and the Sahel. Invited book chapter (pgs.255-270) Dynamics and Predictability of Large-scale High-Impact Weather and Climate Events  (Editors: Jianping Li, Richard Swinbank, Hans Volkert and Richard Grotjahn) Cambridge University Press. ISBN:9781316468746
- Nigam, S., 2016: Atmospheric Science of Humid Areas: Why are humid areas humid?  Invited peer-reviewed contribution to the Proceedings of the Ninth Biennial Rosenberg International Forum on Water Policy (Panama City, Panama; 26-28 January 2016), organized by the California Institute for Water Resources, University of California; to be published by Routledge Press, London.
- Ruiz-Barradas, A., and S. Nigam, 2016: Recent Cooling Trend in the Subsurface North Atlantic. (Submission pending)
Science Cover (28 May 2004)|