Constitution of “American Meteorological Society at the University of Maryland College Park”
We, the members of “American Meteorological Society at the University of Maryland College Park,” do hereby establish this Constitution in order that our purpose be realized to its fullest extent.
Article I – Name
The name of the organization will be “American Meteorological Society at the University of Maryland College Park,” henceforth referred to as “AMS UMD.”
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of AMS UMD is to provide educational, professional, social, and service opportunities for University of Maryland- College Park students interested in meteorology. The organization is also meant to provide community awareness regarding the weather. The main purpose is to have meetings that provide these services for students in atmospheric and oceanic science, through speakers from the meteorology community and other activities.
AMS UMD understands and is committed to fulfilling its responsibilities of abiding by University of Maryland, College Park policies. AMS UMD does not restrict membership or discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, personal appearance, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.
Article III – Membership
Membership shall be limited to persons officially connected with the University of Maryland, College Park as faculty, staff or currently enrolled students. Students enrolled in the spring semester as well as students enrolled in summer school are eligible for summer membership. To become a member of AMS UMD interested persons must attend one organization meeting. Active voting membership is limited to currently registered undergraduate students. In addition, the following requirements are necessary to maintain active membership:
1. Active Member – An individual who attends at least 66% of all meetings and participates in at least one project each semester through the organization, not including University-recognized excuses. Active members of the previous semester who are studying abroad will retain their active membership status.
2. Inactive Member – An individual who does not meet all of the criteria to be an active member.
3. Advisor – An individual that must be a full time member of the University faculty or staff that oversees the running of the organization and meets with the officers to give advice or assistance.
Article IV – Officers
AMS UMD will be governed by the following means:
1. An elected President will preside at all meetings of AMS UMD the President will maintain the power to appoint all committee chairpersons, shall present all motions to the body present and shall be present at 90% of the meetings of AMS UMD. The President will be an atmospheric and oceanic science major.
2. Vice-President – The duties of the vice president are to advise and assist the president in overseeing the activities of the organization and to step in for the president if he or she is unable to complete his/her duties.
3. Secretary – The duties of the secretary are to keep accurate minutes of each meeting and give these to the web manager to post on the AMS website, to create posters/fliers for the meetings and activities, and to be available to create any document that may be needed for the organization.
4. Treasurer – The duties of the treasurer are to control the organizations’ funds, to maintain the organizations’ bank account, membership list, attendance records, and collection of dues. The treasurer will also serve as the SGA liaison.
5. Academic Events Coordinator—The duties of the academic events coordinator are to organize events with the club that enhance learning and engagement with the atmospheric science community, such as talks and tours.
6. Social Events Coordinator—The duties of the social coordinator are to organize AMS UMD events with the club and with the University of Maryland, College Park community. The social coordinator will also make the club visible on campus through advertisement.
7. Web Manager—The duties of the web manager involving maintaining and adding information to the AMS at UMD website as well as the group email and Facebook page.
8. All officers of this organization must be currently enrolled undergraduate students at the University of Maryland College Park and members of the national American Meteorological Society.
9. The president of MetroGrads will act as the graduate student liaison.
Article V – Operations
1. Voting Eligibility—Those members meeting all requirements of active membership as set forth in Article III will be granted voting privileges.
2. Election Process
a. All officers shall be elected by a majority vote of eligible voting members of AMS UMD. All elections will be held on an annual basis during the month of April with at least one week’s notice given prior to the meeting where elections are to be held. Terms of office shall begin immediately upon adjournment of the election meeting.
The President will take nominations from the floor, the nomination process must be closed and the movement seconded. The nominated parties will be allowed to vote.
All voting shall be done by secret ballot to be collected and tabulated by the Secretary and one voting member of AMS UMD appointed by the outgoing President.
Graduate and undergraduate students shall participate in voting.
b. Special elections—To fill any vacancy in any office a special election shall be held within two weeks of the office being vacated.
3. Removal—Any officer of AMS UMD in violation of the Organization’s purpose or constitution may be removed from office by the following process:
a. A written request signed by at 33% of the Organization presented to any Executive Board member.
b. Written notification to the officer of the request, asking the officer to be present at the next meeting and prepared to speak.
c. A two –thirds (2/3) majority vote of eligible voting members present at the meeting is necessary to remove the officer.
Article VI – Amendments
The constitution is binding to all members of the AMS UMD. But the constitution is not binding unto itself.
a. Amendments to the constitution may be proposed in writing by any voting member of AMS UMD at any meeting at which 2/3 of the voting members is present.
b. These amendments will be placed on the agenda for the next regular meeting of the executive council.
c. Proposed amendments will become effective following approval of two-thirds (2/3)-majority vote of active members.
Article VII – Registration Renewal
AMS UMD will apply to the Stamp Student Union for registration on an annual basis one month after AMS UMD’s new officer elections.
1) Meetings—Regularly scheduled Chapter meetings shall be held at least once a month with discretion paid to tests that may be affecting a large section of members. These Chapter meetings should be set up at least a month in advance to benefit both the planning of speakers and members.
Attendance Report by the President Committee, reports Vote on all committee motions and decisions, any other business put forward by the members of the club, dismissal by the President
AMS UMD will finance the activities it engages in by the following means:
a. AMS UMD will submit a budget to the Student Government Association Finance Committee or Graduate Student Government Finance Committee on an annual basis and request funding appropriate to the effective operation of the organization for each year.
Proper financial records must be maintained by the Treasurer to be reviewed and updated on a monthly basis.
All transactions of the local chapter must be authorized by the Treasurer and the President.
At no time shall there be a transition of power to the newly elective officers if the total account is below forty dollars ($40.00). Should the treasury be below this amount, the current officers will be responsible for eliminating the deficit before a transition of power can occur.