n Anandu Vernekar Home Page
Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Department of Meteorology
University of Maryland
College Park, Maryland 20742
Phone: (301) 405-5385
Fax: (301) 314-9482
Professor Vernekar joined the faculty at Maryland in
1969. His research interests are general circulation of
the atmosphere, climate modeling, and monsoon circulations.
He currently teaches METO 617 - General Circulation of the
Atmosphere and METO 630 - Statistical Methods in Meteorology,
both graduate-level courses. From 1976-77, Dr. Vernekar was
a Senior Fellow of the Advanced Study Program of the National
Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado;
from 1979-80, he was Scientific Advisor to the Royal
Netherlands Meteorological Institute, DeBilt, the Netherlands;
from 1989-90, he was Acting Chairman of the Department of
Meteorology, University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland.
Professor Vernekar is a Fellow of the American
- Vernekar, A. D., and Y. Ji, 1999: Simulations of the onset
and intraseasonal variability of two contrasting summer monsoons.
J. Climate, 12, 1707-1725.
- Vernekar, A. D., 1998: On the relationship between Eurasian
snow cover and Indian summer monsoon (Accepted for publication in
the Himalayan Environment).
- Ji, Y., and A. D. Vernekar, 1997: Simulation of the Asian
summer monsoons of 1987 and 1988 with a regional model nested in
a global GCM. J. Climate, 10, 1965-1977.
- Kripalani, R. H., S. V. Singh, A. D. Vernekar, and V. Thapliyal.
1996 Empirical study on Nimbus-7 snow mass and Indian summer monsoon
rainfall. International Journal of Climatology, 16, 23-34.
- DeWitt, D. G., E. K. Schneider, A. D. Vernekar, 1996: Factors
determining the precipitation distribution and low level flow in the
tropics of an atmospheric general circulation model: Diagnostic studies.
J. Atmos. Sci., 53, 2247-2263.
- Vernekar, A. D., 1995: Modeling interannual variations of the
Inadian summer monsoon. Modern Dynamical Meteorology, Proceedings
from Symposiam in honor of Professor Aksel Wiin-Nielsen. Ed by
P. D. Ditlevsen, 183-193.
- Vernekar, A. D., J. Zhou, and J. Shukla, 1995: The effects
of Eurasian snow cover on the Indian monsoon. J. Climate, 8,
- Vernekar, A. D., Y. Ji, and L. Marx, 1994: Simulation of
Indian monsoon with a regional model linked to a general
circulation model. Preprints of Tenth Conference on Numerical
Weather Prediction, Portland, Oregon, 341-344.
- Kirtman, B., and A. D. Vernekar, 1993: Wave-CISK and the
evaporation-wind feedback for the Madden-Julian Oscillation.
Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 50, 2811-2814.