METO 621 - ATMOSPHERIC RADIATION
DUE MARCH 11 , 2008
(1) Develop the formal solutions for the upward and downward intensities in slab geometry, for an atmosphere with zero scattering. Define each of the terms that you use, and discuss the physical significance of the solutions.
(2) If we cannot neglect scattering then how are the equations derived above modified?
(3) (1) Define the term BRDF (Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function).
(2) What is a Lambert surface? Show that for a collimated beam, the intensity reflected from a Lambert surface is proportional to the cosine of the angle of incidence.
(3) What is specular reflection? Show how the relation derived in (2) is different for specular reflection.